Interestingly, I was just on the Metropolitan Museum’s website looking for information on a field trip. As I was there, I bumped into some interactive activities for kids that were very informative and fun to use. From that site, I found that they have Saturday night programs for kids at the museum, where they take you to some of the art work, talk about it, and then have you produce your own art. It seemed like a wonderful program, so we went the following Saturday.
If it hadn’t been for that online experience, I’m sure we wouldn’t have gone into Manhattan and paid the admission to the museum. They have done a wonderful job educating their patrons about the art, as well as encouraging them to come experience it. For example, one of their interactive web pages tells the kids all about the Temple of Pernib. There are historical facts, lots of pretty pictures, buttons and links to press as well as some entertaining features. Best of all, it encourages you to come to their museum (and we did!)
I think that all museums or public businesses could use an interactive aspect to their websites, since it encourages the customer to learn more, participate and ultimately to buy!
I checked some other famous museums, thinking they might probably have the same thing. MOMA for example, has all their audio tours online, as well as interactive resources for kids. The one I participated in was a space alien explaining “how to make an animation”. It was interesting and accessible to the younger set. Again, as with the Met website, I’m sure it encourages people to find out more, or to see the museum in person.
My recommendation for them would be to make more interactive aspects for adults. It seems like many of them cater to kids, when I think the adults would love to “play” around the website also. I’m sure it could be designed as a little tease, or a wetting of the appetite to get more adults into the museum as well. Of course, every museum website gives information about exhibitions, hours of operations or samples of the works, but I think they need to be more interactive for them to be more effective.
Sunday, May 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Maggie,
I am so interested to go to this museum site. Your description is great. I can see why technology can enhance museums. There are so many ideas and as you said, a good website can be a great advertisement for the museum. I also think that hands-on activities enhance everyone's learning, not just kids. The tactile aspect, I believe, enhances and supports learning.
I like the idea that museums can become more appealing to adult learners by becoming more interactive. This would be a way to work towards life-long learning goals
Post a Comment