Museums these days are growing and changing with the times. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say "I don't like museums, they're so boring", but then when you go there, you can't get them to leave! They are fascinating places that have adapted to the newest technologies, just like the rest of the world. The problem is our conception of them hasn't changed since the facade of the building hasn't changed.
My recent visits to MOMA and the Met have been indicative of these changes. On the surface, their collections haven't changed much. You still see the Knights and Armor room at the Met, and you still see Monet's Water Lilies at MOMA. What is different is the amount of interactive programs they have for all ages. There are audio programs you can take online (without going to the museum itself), they are art programs, there are also investigative (treasure hunt) type activities as well.
If I were to integrate the technology from the Sony Tech lab into one of these museums, of course, I would make it something interactive. What I think most people like to do is make the art their own in some way. Instead of only seeing the art, have them make are too (on a computer perhaps). Or somehow have them choose or edit which art to see through a computer.
What I was also impressed by in the Sony lab was sound editing. I think museums need more noise! Why not have the visitor listen to the sounds of an exhibit. For example, have nature sounds at the Pyramid of Pernib, or war sounds at the armor exhibit or even someone reading Van Gogh's letters to his brother in a Van Gogh exhibit. Granted, that's not totally interactive, but I think it would enhance the museum experience for the visitor.
Tuesday, May 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment