Wow. What an incredibly interesting topic. The entire concept of a game that deals with a genocide is certainly cause for discussion!
As I started to listen to the NPR segment, I was very conflicted about the idea. Right now it seems almost cool or politically correct to raise money for Darfur, wear "Save Darfur" t-shirts or even to mention it as one of your "concerns". This game struck me as almost superficial at first. As if it was just capitalizing on this hot topic. All I could think of was how difficult it would be to have fun, or play a game regarding such a serious topic. I likened it to making an Adolf Hitler videogame. No one would go for that! Yet that was another genocide.
As I listened, and then read the article, I was incredibly intrigued. I realized that a videogame would reach an "audience" that we don't normally associate with political action or commentary. I associated this game with a phrase I have often said regarding technology in the classroom, that it is a way of "communicating with adolescents IN THEIR TERMS". A game like this is educational, fun and raises questions in the minds of it's players (which is a good thing).
In regards to your specific question about how to make it more complex, I'm afraid I don't have an answer. My first reaction was to make it more personal, making each character based on a real person. There could be details about what he looks like, how he was abducted or how his life has been effected. But I'm not sure if that doesn't trivialize the situation also.
In my quandry over this issue, I researched a little. I asked my class of seniors (12th graders) what they thought. As usual, they had good commentary. They felt it was in poor taste, they couldn't believe that a videogaming company would pay to have that produced, and they also couldn't imagine that any parent would purchase this for their child. On the other hand, they also felt it was a good idea to bring the serious topic like Darfur to the minds of videogaming-aged kids. They had similar commentary to the article that said these are not the same people who would pick up a copy of the New York Times and research genocide. But they ARE the people who would pursue a topic they don't feel is fair, raise money for a cause or join a protest. In either case, just by bringing up the topic of this game, we had a lengthy discussion of politics, morals and what is "fun". If nothing else, the game was, as you said, an entryway into a complex political topic.
My final research was with the utmost authority, my 10-year old son. I had him play the game with only minimal prior instruction from me as to what Darfur is. He liked the game, but I'm not sure he understood the gravity of the topic. What certainly captured his attention was the end, where it gives you the option to "send a message to President Bush". He said "really?? You mean the REAL president?" He could just not believe that you could actually send a message to the President or to the congress or senate. He was absolutely blown away by that idea. So, he started to craft a message, but kept confusing the terms "militia" with "refugee". For example, he said "Dear President Bush, please help these militias because life over there is really hard!" Maybe he is on the young side of the educational aspect of this game.
What I liked most about what I read and investigated was the idea that there is plenty of room for MORE educational "games" or consciousness raising activities about world politics, cultures or problems. I think I would feel more comfortable with the entire idea of this game if I knew there were many games like it and many more people had access to it. That way learning and gaming would go more hand in hand, and not be the exception.
Tuesday, May 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think it is important to hear about the creator's goals. Youth are connected. They are online and social. Unfortunately, many are disconnected to global events. I like what you said about the importance of "communicating with adolescents IN THEIR TERMS". Interesting reactions from your students. I like that your son was excited about his ability to communicate with the president.
Post a Comment