Monday, April 23, 2007

Sony Wonderlab Visit

Although I loved the idea of the tech center, I didn't find anything there that I didn't already know about technology that I could use in my class. Of course, there were very informative displays, interactive stations and lots of interesting things to see and do, but as a teacher I didn't find anything to "bring home" as they say.

Right now, I have the luxury to work in a district that has given me all the technology I want, and more so. Not only do I already use multiple types of language sources to teach spanish, such as tapes, DVDs, VCR, Smartboard interactive activities, overheads etc, but we have also recently added a language lab to the mix. We now have 24 computers with recording software and access to the internet available ONLY to the language classes. I have instant (and constant) access to many of these resources on a daily basis. So, for example, I can listen to an authentic source of spanish on the internet, and have the students blog their reactions, or record a response, all in spanish. The students love the technology aspect to the lessons, and I must admit, I do too!

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Maggie,
I am jealous! In my school,I have very little technology and a district with a huge budget crisis. I loved the SONY museum and I feel that it gave me many ideas on ways to incorporate technology in the classroom. These would be "the future" for me. I hope you realize how fortunate you are!

Mrs. Millman said...

It is wonderful that you have access to as much technology as you do. A language lab probably would have helped me learn Spanish when I was in school. I'm sorry that you couldn't get any ideas for your class from the Sony visit. Maybe the next trip will be helpful to you.

BC said...

Your critique of the Sony Lab is valid. I was thinking that we would be seeing the future of technology, but it felt more like an overview of the past and present. But I do think that the Lab's interactive activities might represent the future of education, museum and classroom. I loved the way that people were interacting with the exhibits, especially the exhibit that featured musical instruments.