I absolutely LOVE the idea of comparing and contrasting political ads of a specific time period, in order to get the students to deduce the important issues of the day, as well as to determine the attitude of the candidates. It is a wonderfully challenging activity that teachers are often looking for. Rather than giving them all the information, having them memorize it and produce it on a test, the student must do the work just to get the information in the first place. It think this would greatly improve critical thinking skills, which we all know, they need more of.
But unfortunately, it seems to have it's down side as well. I must admit that it would be a little intimidating to many teachers to teach this way. Without the concrete information listed in a book, without a summary page at the back of the chapter, or without the worksheets produced by the publisher, many teachers might be a little nervous to adapt this type of lesson. There are teachers who would be incapable of creating this type of discussion or encouraging the students to theorize, guess or analyze without giving them all the answers directly (not any teachers I know of course!). I'm sorry to say that, but let's face it, it's true! What I'm sure of, is that looking at this lesson, I personally was a little intimidated at trying to teach this way. But then again, this is not my area of specialty. Maybe that's why it seemed a little more daunting.
The other draw back to this type of lesson would be in the timing of presenting the material. It seems like the students would need an extraordinary amount of time to analyze, think and discuss what happened in 1984, for example. Unfortunately, our state and federal "proficiency" tests that all high school students must take are written for content, not thinking skills. I'm not sure a social studiest teacher would have time to teach this way, with the way the curriculum and state standards are set up.
Lastly, I'm incredibly impressed with the people who researched this and put it all together. It's amazingly detailed and informative.
Monday, April 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
There seems to be some power in placing cases side by side. Complexity is made more manageable because novice learners do not have to hold that information inside their head. For example, holding a discussion about two specific cases featured in a 40 minute video might be more difficult than the way that learners work with interconnected EASE History cases and their resources in multiple window interfaces. I agree with your point that this is difficult to teach. The learning guide needs to better support teaching. I do think that content and skill building are intertwined. Ideally, testing would begin to reflect this connectivity.
Post a Comment